Friday, September 17, 2010

CEMENT

I have to tell someone about the funny thing that happened the other day to Preston. There was a cement truck in front of our neighbors house they were fixing a section of the sidewalk. Preston loves trucks and had to watch. I said that he could stay on the front steps and watch. I went back inside leaving him there for a minute. I peaked out the front door to check on him. He said mommy they are done and the truck is gone. Okay I though he is safe and left him to play. I was inside making lunch and not 3 minutes later he came in frantic. I asked him if he is ok and he said "mommy my bike is stuck in the mud". I looked him over and he had gray mud on his shorts and no shoes or socks on. I asked him what mud his bike got stuck in. He said out front. I ran out of the house saw his bike all covered with gray mud on the driveway and looked to the cement. He already got it out by himself. I can't even image the poor child's face trying to get his prize posses ion out of the wet cement. I was horrified. The sidewalk was like a storm in the sea. There wouldn't be a smooth ride over that stretch of the sidewalk. I asked "what were you doing" . He said mommy it was mud. Poor little one. He was so scared the next words that came out of his mouth were "am I going to jail mommy?". He was as scared as me. The cement workers were no where in sight. I wanted to get Brian's cement tools from the garage and try to smooth it out, but after talking to Brian he said that it is more difficult than just smoothing it out. Preston and I tracked down who was doing the work on the sidewalk and they hurried over to fix it before it dried. When Preston said sorry to the worker he was shaking and asked if he was going to jail. The worker laughed and said "no, and thanks for coming to tell me". He was good about the whole thing.

I was worried that I would have to pay for the repair that I didn't get pictures in time. I know I blew it.

1 comment:

laura said...

That's so funny! I laughed out loud here at work. My favorite part is the, "Am I going to jail, mommy?" Great story. Too bad, no pictures, but I wouldn't have been able to take any pictures either. I would have been digging through Layne's tools, but Colby would have been helping me. :D